Monday, March 27, 2017

Sivananda Yoga

After practicing Sivananda yoga this week, I have come to really enjoy this type of yoga class for a couple of reasons. First, I like how slow paced and repetitive this class is. Many of the poses we practiced involved a lot of positions that required at least some degree of flexibility. However, at the same time while holding each of the poses, it is important that for each pose the concentration of the four counts of breathe are not lost. This particularly made me enjoy this class because as I was holding each pose, I would really try to think about each body part and how it felt while holding it. Whether it would be a severe stretching sensation or a relaxing meditation feeling, I seemed to really understand which parts of my body were fully integrated. Additionally, many of the 12 poses executed required a great deal of strength, coordination, patience, and almost invited a challenge. For example, the crow pose is a position that will require patience, time, and diligence to learn. Because I love a challenge, this particular pose made me want to master it because it entails much more than what meets the eye. Sivananda yoga, like many other yogas, I feel as though requires an eye-body coordination technique. Because I have been doing gymnastics for such as long time, I feel as though I can relate to this type of  practice for that reason.  I had originally thought that Bikram yoga would have been my favorite and that nothing would top it, but I really feel as though Sivananda yoga has become my top favorite yoga practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment